The Liberia WASH Consortium was set up in 2007 as a response to the poor WASH access, lack of harmonisation and coordination in the sector, insufficient national policy frameworks and weak government capacities in Liberia.
The Liberia WASH Consortium now consists of 5 members: ACF, Concern Worldwide, Oxfam, Tearfund and WaterAid. The Consortium also has associate members and local CSO partners including the WASH CSO Network, Youth & Disable Network and the Liberia Reporters & Editor Network.
LWC strategic focus (2007-2012) is:
1) Provision of basic WASH services in rural and urban Liberia
2) National and local institutional capacity building for effective coordination and supervision
3) Strengthening community structures and local actors for WASH facility sustainability
4) WASH policy and strategy development
5) Cholera preparedness and response